I started a page at the beginning of January with the goal of being thankful for (at least) 3 things (or gifts) a day… working toward 1000 gifts for the year of 2013.
I didn’t really advertise this page or tell anybody (although the tab was added up there at the top of the page). I just wanted to do it for me. (You can read more about why I’m doing this on that page and here at A Holy Experience.)
Well, to my dismay, today I discovered that a blog page can only be so long before parts of it start disappearing. About 10 of my things just weren’t there when I updated it tonight.
Well, I really don’t want to lose my list of gifts… I’m already finding it refreshing to read back through it when I’m having a bad day or struggling to find things to be thankful for – things to call my “gifts”.
So even though my list of things to be thankful for doesn’t necessarily fit into the “theme” of my cake blog… it is my blog, so I can write what I want, right?
Besides I figure we can all use a little reminding to be thankful and to focus on our gifts… it sure does make going to bed at night more peaceful when I’m thinking of what I do have and have been blessed with versus what I don’t have.
Instead of bombarding you with a daily post of my 3 things every single day, my plan is to start sharing a weekly post on Saturdays of all the things I’ve been thankful for that week, then updating the #1000things page with links to all the posts.
Are you confused? Me too! ;) If you aren’t interested in reading these things, by all means feel free to skip out!
Anyway, I’ll share more tomorrow, but tonight I’m going to share January 1 – January 19. Then tomorrow I’ll post January 20-26 and go from there.
Okay? Okay. Here goes… the first 3 weeks of January and what I was thankful for!
1. The uncontrolled belly laughter and giggles of my baby boy Asher on New Years Day. That’s how to start a new year.
2. A note from my best friend on Facebook – that made me smile and cry:
3. A close family. I spent almost the entire day with my husband, our 6 kids, my parents, my brothers and their wives & children, and my sister and her children. We ate. We laughed. We loved on each other. That is a gift that so many don’t have… and I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world!
4. A fireplace on a cold day.
5. A quote that kicks me in the gut. I’ve seen a quote like this before (a long time ago here) and it always reminds me to stop.making.excuses. I’m thankful for that reminder!
6. Cake scraps. They make a great late-night snack.
7. Trying a new recipe and it being a hit with the family! Check out Shelley’s Chicken Enchiladas - they’re amazing!
8. Piles of laundry. I know, I know… I look at them and want to complain, but I’m thankful that we’re blessed – that we have enough (too much) and that we’re not in need.
9. My kids laughter. It cheers me up even when I’m overwhelmed.
January 4 (I worked until 3am on Jan. 5th doing cakes… so I got a day behind – really posting this Jan. 5)
10. Finished and delivered orders.
11. My husband, who sat up with me until 3am and helped me make decorations for this sailboat cake (see those wheels… that’s all Richy’s work!).
12. Leftovers. Especially on a day where I’m too busy and too tired to bother with cooking.
13. Happy faces when I give away cupcakes.
14. Silly babies.
15. My wonderful & very special friend Kristen - who drove over an hour today to meet me for a day of hanging out - enjoying good food, laughter, lazy shopping, and dessert at TCBY.
16. The sound of a trumpet being played during worship at church. By my husband.
17. Sound advice from a trusted friend.
18. A semi-lazy Sunday afternoon.
January 7 (I’m sort of mad at myself. In my head I had 3 things I was already excited about sharing before lunch yesterday, but then I forgot to write them down and now it’s Jan. 8 and I cant’ remember – but I am remembering other things that I am thankful for from yesterday.)
19. Early morning kisses from my hubby as he leaves for work.
20. My son Joshua making me pancakes for breakfast – as a surprise!
21. A new lock on our front door that brings me peace of mind – our almost 2 year old learned to open the dead bolt and he sometimes climbs out of his crib (very early and very quietly) while I am still sleeping… that equals fear. But that’s taken care of!
22. My blog anniversary giveaways are going to much better than I could’ve imagined.
23. My kids begging for us to read The Tickle Monster book again and again and again – and hearing them laugh and giggle and squeal uncontrollably!
24. A clean couch – where there used to be piles and piles of laundry.
25. The smell of my hubby on his pillow after he leaves for work.
26. An empty sink – especially after it’s stayed full for days.
27. Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
28. A dry house. Today there was major flooding in our area and my next door neighbor got 4 inches of mud/creek water in his house. IN his house. You see that line on the picture? That’s where his yard usually drops off about 10 feet down to the very small creek. It was bad!
29. A new very soft snowman blanket. When I sit down and relax (does that ever really happen anymore??), I love to snuggle up in a blanket with a good book!
30. Purple nail polish.
31. Friendly, generous neighbors.
32. A working toilet.
33. A husband who can fix toilets!
34. My heating pad. My shoulder is killing me today.
35. Cream cheese covered in Pickapeppa Sauce spread on a Triscuit. Best. Snack. Ever.
36. Sushi date with my Mama & Sarah.
37. Snuggles with my baby boy who’s not feeling so great.
38. Little Debbie Snack Cakes – the heart-shaped ones that come out for Valentines Day.
39. New pajamas.
40. Laughing and giggling with my kiddos on the floor.
41. Antibiotics for ear infections.
42. Beautiful hair on my baby boy – even if he was called a girl three times today! :)
43. My kids making up their own pretend games… even if they do end up fighting over the made up rules!
44. My Daddy. I couldn’t have asked for a better one!
45. A clean kitchen floor. Finally mopped after way too long without!
46. Waking up to baby kisses from Asher (and licks…yes, he likes to lick my face right now :))
47. The beginning of a wonderful honeymoon trip, 16 years in the making.
48. Snow in Mississippi… and kids who got their prayers answered!
49. The best kids IN THE WORLD!! They sent us an email this morning that made me cry. We love them more than words can ever express and miss them terribly although we’ve barely left yet.
50. Sitting with Richy and quietly watching the sun set over the Mississippi River.
51. Excedrin PM
January 18, 2013
52. Lots and lots of laughing and being silly with the hubby!!
53. Free Room Service
54. Putt-Putt Golf…. even though that smug, handsome fellow beat me every time!
55. Hot Melting Chocolate Cake with Ice Cream. Maybe my newest most favorite dessert.
January 19, 2013
56. Zip-lining with my husband – FUN, FUN, FUN!
57. Sunblock – and wishing I hadn’t missed a (BIG) spot. Side note… I’m incredibly fair-skinned and I burn super fast so I’m a fanatic about sunblock. Unfortunately on our day in Cozumel, I covered my arms, face, neck, ears, legs… everywhere except my chest. BURNT! (that pic was taken the next evening… about 24 hours later).
58. A very sweet, loving husband who haggled and got me some very pretty PINK earrings!
What have you been thankful for today, or this week or this month? What are your gifts?
One or more links in this post are referral and/or affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
One or more links in this post may be referral and/or affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.