On Easter Sunday I was sitting over my Mama’s house visiting with family and I decided to pick through her recipe box. It’s old and worn, but we’ve been using the recipes out of it for as long as I can remember and I thought I might get inspired by some of our family favorites…
… and I was right. When flipping through them, I found a recipe for Oreo Ice Cream Cake. I think it originated with my Aunt Carol (the same aunt who inspired my Red Velvet Cake recipe), but I’m not sure. What I am sure of is that we used to make it when I was a kid all the time and it was a favorite!
I don’t know how I forgot about it… this recipe is so delicious and easy… but it has been years and years since I (or my Mama) have made it. And I knew I needed it again.
That day, I decided to copy quite a few recipes from my Mama’s old recipe box and bring them home to make and share with you… and the Oreo Ice Cream cake needed to be first. Because well… it’s Oreo’s and Ice Cream. Helloooo? Yum!
I made it this past Sunday morning to share with some family and friends we had invited over for lunch after church (it needs a couple of hours to refreeze – it’s not a last minute dessert). I would’ve made it just for us, but then I’d have eaten
the whole pan by myself way too much of it and I knew that was a bad idea.
And truly, I’m glad I shared… it was a huge hit!!
When everybody had gotten a slice (or two!) … only one lonely piece remained! I might have had it for breakfast Monday morning…. after taking some more photos to share with you ;).
This “cake” really doesn’t have any cake in it – it’s more like an Oreo Blizzard from Dairy Queen – except it’s homemade and it’s frozen firm and it’s spread in a pan… Have you ever had an Oreo Blizzard? Oh. My. Goodness.
Since I live in the sticks, I don’t get to Dairy Queen very often; but when I go there, I almost always have an Oreo Blizzard. And now that this recipe is back in my life… I’ll definitely be having this homemade version more often!!
Are you an Oreo Lover? An ice cream lover? If so, give this super easy, 4 ingredient recipe a try… I guarantee, you’ll love it!!
- 1 (15.5 ounce) package of Oreos, crushed
- Half Gallon of Vanilla Ice Cream, softened
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- 12 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- If you didn't do this already, set out the vanilla ice cream for about 30 minutes to allow it to soften. While it's softening, place the Oreo cookies in food processor and chop them to a coarse crumbs.. or place them in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
- In a large mixing bowl (or Kitchenaid), combine the ice cream, condensed milk, and Cool Whip. Mix until a smooth creamy mixture (like soft-serve ice cream).
- In a 9x13" dish, spread half of the crushed Oreos. Then pour/spread the ice cream mixture over that. Top with the other half of the crushed Oreos. Cover and re-freeze for at least 2 hours.
This post is linked up at Foodie Friday, Tasty Tuesday, Mix It Up Monday, Sunday Round Up, Sugar Me Up, I’m Lovin’ It, Fab Friday, Party Time, Tastetastic Thursday, Sweet Treats Thursday, Creative Thursday, What I Whipped Up Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Crazy Sweet Tuesday, Sweet Tooth Friday, and Tuesday Talent Show!