A few days ago I wrote a post on my personal blog listing my goals for 2016. I included personal and business goals… and I’m already on my way to making those happen! In addition to that, I thought it would be fun to make a list of 5 New Cake Things To Try in 2016!
I have mentioned this before, but I have a stash of Craftsy classes that I’ve purchased and never watched – and others I’ve watched – but never actually used the techniques I learned. So this year – I’m going to stop procrastinating and mark some things off my list!
This list will sort of tag along with all of my other goals but I wanted these things to be specific to my baking & cake life and taking advantage of the investments I’ve made with Craftsy! What do you think?
Okay – here we go…
1. Wafer Paper, Wafer Paper, WAFER PAPER. I’ve used it a handful of times and fallen in love. Now I really want to polish my skills, learn how to make more than one flower, and really use it to it’s full potential…. I have this class, this class and this class already bought. I.Cant.Wait.
2. Making Macarons. I had never had a macaron before last year but after having some really fantastic ones – I have been itching to try them myself!! I found this Craftsy Class (Miniature French Desserts: Macarons, Madeleines & More!) and I’m already signed up for it! I also bought this Macaron Kit … now I have no excuses ! I just need to find the time and go for it!
3. Ganaching a Cake. I know, I know… I’m centuries behind on this trend but the truth is… I like the way I do my cakes now and my clients are happy , so I just haven’t had a really great reason to change things. I guess you could say I’m stuck in a rut. But this year – I’m gonna try it! (I’ll be following the instructions from one of my all time favorite go-to classes… Jessica Harris’ Clean & Simple Cake Design). Note – I do use ganache to pour over cakes… I even shared a ganache recipe here – I just haven’t ever used it for the crumb coat to get those super sharp edges!
4. Making a Perfect Sphere Cake. Have you guys seen the new Star Wars yet? My husband and kids are die-hard fans so we went to see it over the Christmas holidays together and while I’m not a die-hard fan, I leaned over during the movie and told the hubby that I wanted to make that little BB-8 character out of cake! He’s so stinkin’ cute and since I bought Sculpting Essentials: The Perfect Sphere… I have no reason not too! I’m thinking my goal will be the hubby’s birthday in July for this one!
5. Modern Buttercream. I have no desire to do the classic piping and string work and all smooth and perfect everything (for the most part – although I do want to continue to work on that), but all the modern techniques are really growing on me and I want to give it a try and see how well I can do it. I already have this class and I’ve poured over their book – it’s amazing! I’m seriously considering adding this new class as well.. (not that I need another class right now, but you know… a girl’s gotta dream)
Okay – that’s it – my 5 New Cake Things To Try in 2016! Browse Craftsy Classes HERE and tell me which class you’d love to try!