Well, I finished another cake this week and it was picked up yesterday! It started out (as most cakes do), just a rough sketch, but ended up pretty snazzy, if I might say so myself!
I didn't get pictures every step of the way, but here are a few shots of the gradual transformation...
First up, it was a red square.
Then I added the "building".
And tested out where Spiderman would be sitting.
If you're wondering about all the 'white stuff'...it's corn starch. I use it to keep the marshmallow fondant from sticking while I smooth it out and sharpen the edges. It dusts right off or absorbs after just a bit. The picture below is the next morning... I cut out the fondant letters and dressed up the building...
Next up are the finished pictures. I added a border, a city along the front, and a royal icing spiderweb. The last pictures at the bottom are from the party. I had made extra spiderwebs of varying sizes (because I was afraid of breakage...had never used royal icing before except to 'glue bows together) and the customer wanted to add them on... I think it turned out super cute!