For the Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix, 15.25 oz.
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup Cherry 7UP®
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 10. oz. jar of Maraschino Cherries (you'll need 1/4 cup juice for the cupcakes and reserve the cherries for decorating!)
For the Frosting:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Cherry 7UP®
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 drops bright green gel coloring
- Maraschino cherries
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the white cake mix, eggs, oil, 1 cup Cherry 7UP®, and 1/4 cup cherry juice. Mix just until smooth, then spoon or scoop into cupcake liners. I fill my liners 1/2 -2/3 full.
- Bake at 325°F for 16-19 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking/cooling, make the buttercream! Place the softened butter, lime juice and Cherry 7UP® in a medium mixing bowl and cream together until smooth. Add in 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix. Continue adding powdered sugar until a stiff consistency is reached (5 cups was perfect for me, but depending on the how soft your butter is, you may need more or less).
- Add 2-3 drops of bright green gel coloring to get the lime color - mix well.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cooled cupcakes; garnish with a cherry and sprinkles if desired.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Category: Dessert