- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and butter until completely smooth and creamy (I used my Kitchenaid with the paddle attachment).
- Add cocoa and vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl often!
- When all sugar has been mixed in, the frosting might be dry and a little crumbly.
- Start by adding 1 tablespoon of water (or milk) at a time, and mixing.
- Continue to add and mix until you get the consistency you desire.
Keep it thicker for decorating, or add extra milk or corn syrup for a thinner spreading consistency!
You can use 4 sticks of butter and no shortening if you want, but it is a much softer frosting and not great for decorating! It also melts easier and starts to “sag” pretty quick unless refrigerated. The shortening helps to stabilize the frosting!
*I have substituted strong coffee for some of the water or milk to get Mocha Frosting!