- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening*
- 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring (optional)
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
- 6–8 tablespoons warm water (or milk, but water allows the chocolate flavor to be stronger)**
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and butter until completely smooth and creamy (I used my Kitchenaid with the paddle attachment).
- Add cocoa and vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl often!
- When all sugar has been mixed in, the frosting might be dry and a little crumbly.
- Start by adding 1 tablespoon of water (or milk) at a time, and mixing.
- Continue to add and mix until you get the consistency you desire.
Keep it thicker for decorating, or add extra milk or corn syrup for a thinner spreading consistency!
You can use 4 sticks of butter and no shortening if you want, but it is a much softer frosting and not great for decorating! It also melts easier and starts to “sag” pretty quick unless refrigerated. The shortening helps to stabilize the frosting!
*I have substituted strong coffee for some of the water or milk to get Mocha Frosting!