- Butter Cake Recipe
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Filling:
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature (salted works just fine too!)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips, for decorations
- Mix up the Butter Cake Recipe, gently stirring in mini chocolate chips at the end.
For the filling:
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and continue to beat until smooth.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Cover with plastic wrap or seal in an airtight container and refrigerate until the mixture has firmed up a bit. *I confess, I skipped this step. I put the filling into an icing bag with a large round tip (1A) and left it at room temperature until I used it. I’m not sure if or how it would’ve been better chilled.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, you can use an apple corer (mine is Tupperware) to easily pop out a hole in the middle of the cupcakes.
- Then pipe the cookie dough filling into the hole to fill in where you scooped out the cake, and smooth it down with your finger if needed.
- You could also just cut a chunk of cake out of the center with a knife if you wanted to and fill with a spoon, but the tools make it a little easier & neater!
- For photos of these steps, be sure to click here to my first post.
For the Frosting:
- Cream the butter and brown sugar with a mixer (or paddle attachment) until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix on low until it’s all added.
- Add the flour, salt, milk and vanilla and mix until it’s all incorporated. I know flour might be a surprise ingredient (or at least it was for me), but this is really some of the very best frosting ever.
- At this point, I switched my paddle attachment for my whisk attachment and whipped it up until it was super light and fluffy! It was so smooth… it was like it melted in my mouth!
- Frost the filled cupcakes. I used an icing bag with a 1M tip and garnished them with mini chocolate chips!