This cream cheese frosting is perfect for decorating. It holds it’s shape well and forms a nice crust!
- 1 cup salted butter (=2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Crisco* shortening (just under 4 oz. on a kitchen scale)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 lbs powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2–4Tablespoons of milk (add to get consistency to pipe or spread)
- First, cream the butter and Crisco in a mixing bowl. Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and cream cheese and mix again until very smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar until it’s all combined. It will be very stiff! Then begin adding milk until you reach the desired consistency for decorating (2-3 tablespoons works well for me!)
- *I am generally satisfied using generic ingredients, but I’ve found that Crisco shortening has a much better texture and seems to make smoother, yummier icing than when I make it with generic…just my opinion, if anyone is interested =)
- This recipe yields about 4 1/2 cups of frosting (~4 lbs when weighed). Yes, it’s sweet. Yes, it’s a lot of powdered sugar. But I’ve made this recipe more times than I can count so I know it does work!
- Category: Dessert