For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups Judee's Sorghum Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Judee's Potato Starch
- 1/2 cup Judee's Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Judee's Honey Sweetener Granules
- 2 teaspoons Judee's Xanthan Gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 13.66 oz can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces softened butter
- 8 ounces shortening
- 2 teaspoons pure coconut extract
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioners sugar
- coconut milk, as needed to thin the frosting (regular milk or water can be substituted here)
For the coating:
- 3 cups flaked sweetened coconut, for covering the frosting
Alternatively, you could line the pans with parchment paper if you prefer that method.
To make the snowman, I used a 7-inch cake pan and a 9-inch cake pan. You might also use 6-inch and 8-inch round cake pans (although you may end up with a little extra batter).
Divide the cake batter into each prepared pan and spread it as smooth and evenly as possible.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm and springy. A cake tester inserted into the center should come out clean. Cool on a wired rack.
While it's cooling, make the frosting. Cream together the butter, shortening, and extracts until it's smooth and light. Add the powdered sugar and a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk and mix. Continue adding milk until you reach the desired consistency (smooth, creamy, and easy to spread!).
Follow the tutorial above for the snowman cake. For a tradtional round layer cake, place one layer of cake on a cake board of cake stand, then cover the top with the frosting. Place the second layer on top of that and cover the entire surface with frosting.
Press flaked coconut all over the surface!
*To make a traditional round layer cake, use two 8-inch pans.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free, coconut, honey, coconut cake, snowman cake, snowman cake tutorial, gluten-free coconut cake,