- Preheat an oven to 325°F.
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- For the crust, mix the first 3 ingredients together in a large bowl with a fork until mixed together as thoroughly as possible. The texture of the mixture will be, well, bizarre. Dry and clumpy. Dump into a greased 9"x13" pan, and press down with your hands. Cover the bottom and slightly up the sides of the dish.
- First, set aside about 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar. Now, for the gooey filling, in a large bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar while mixing (and I mean slowly, else you'll end up with a huge cloud of powdered sugar all over your kitchen!) When you're done mixing, the goo in the bowl should be nice and creamy.
- Pour the gooey stuff over the crust in the 9"x13" dish. Bake at 325° for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. It'll be so light and flaky too... yum!!
- Remove from the oven and let cool; the gooey stuff will appear all puffy, but will settle upon cooling. After about 10 minutes or so, sprinkle the remaining powdered sugar over the top.
- Cool completely before serving. Personally, I like these still a little warm, but my friends also like to chill and eat them cold. Either way - they're plain deliciousness!!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Ooey Gooey Bars, Ooey Gooey butter bars, Gooey butter bars, gooey butter cake bars, ooey gooey butter cake bars, butter bars, st louis gooey butter cake bars, ooey gooey bars recipe