- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir until you have a wet sand texture, then continue cooking the sugar until you have a clear and amber colored syrup. Do not stir while cooking. Remove from heat.
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray then pour the sugar into a bundt pan turning it until the pan is coated on the inside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions and pour the batter over sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 can condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk, 4 eggs, 1 tsp. each of vanilla, brandy, and almond extract. Pour over batter. The batter will float to the top… that’s okay!
- Place the bundt pan in a larger pan (I use a round cake pan) with 1/2″ of water and cook at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- Cover with foil and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes more or until done (check with a toothpick).. Place cake on cooling rack. Remove the foil and cool 15 minutes then invert onto serving plate. Cool 1 hour at room temperature. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
Mom always told me that this cake was also delicious with a chocolate cake mix, but I still haven’t tried it that way!