Easy, homemade gum paste to use for cake decorating and figure making.
- Pour the water into a small boiler and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Allow it to soften for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly heat the mixture, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved and you have a clear liquid. Do not allow it to boil! Turn off heat.
- Add the melted shortening and corn syrup. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour all but 2 cups of the powdered sugar into a large glass or plastic bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the gelatin/syrup mixture into the well and mix until the sugar is all combined.
- Dump the mixture out onto a surface (or silicone mat) that is lightly greased with shortening. Sprinkle the tylose powder over the paste and with greased hands, knead, incorporating all of the remaining powdered sugar and tylose.
- Continue kneading the dough until it forms a soft smooth ball. Add additional sugar as needed if your dough is still too sticky. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place into a Ziploc bag. Allow to rest over night before using!
- Can be stored at room temperature for up to a month and in the fridge for up to 6 months. When ready to use, grease your hands, then warm small balls in the microwave no more than 10 seconds at a time to soften and bring to room temperature. Knead until smooth. Roll out and use!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade gum paste, gum paste, homemade gum paste , homemade gum paste recipe, homemade gum, gum paste , gum paste recipe