This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CraftAmazing #CollectiveBias This tutorial for How to Decorate a Cake Board & Matching Bunting Topper with Scotch® Brand Expressions Tape takes an otherwise simple cake into a truly inspired creation!
Today I’m going to show you How to Decorate a Cake Board & Matching Bunting Topper with Scotch® Brand Expressions Tape. This is a fun and easy way that anybody – amateur or expert – can dress up a cake and/or cake board!
Isn’t that just so pretty and sweet? With the Scotch® Expressions line , there’s so much versatility, function & fun – you can turn any simple project into a simply inspired creation!
Okay – this tutorial has lots of pics, so let’s get started!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this cake board and topper:
- Two or three different varieties of Scotch® Brand Expressions Tape
- (4) cardboard cake rounds, in whatever size appropriate for your cake (I used 10″ boards for a 6″ cake) plus a cake board the exact size as your cake (not pictured)
- Scotch® Brand Double-Sided Tape
- Bamboo Skewers (I forgot them in the pic)
- Decorative Twine
- A cake!! (also not in the pic, obviously)
You can grab everything you’ll need at Walmart and be sure to look in the craft department and the office supplies aisle for the Scotch® Brand products!
Once you have everything ready to go, let’s get busy with this fun crafty project….
1. Using the Scotch® Brand Double-Sided Tape, tape together your cake boards. I placed three strips on each board, then stacked another board on top and repeated:
2. After you have them taped together, take the smaller board that is the same size as your cake and mark a circle where your cake will sit. I am going to put a 6″ cake on these 10″ boards so I marked a 6″ circle. This circle marks an area that will not need to be decorated with tape and also helps to get the cake centered!
3. Now the fun begins! I chose to do stripes with two different colors. You could use a single color or several and do any pattern/design you want! I started with a single strip of tape that touched the edge of the inner circle…
Then I worked out from there with shorter pieces. I trimmed them close to the edge of the board, but didn’t strive for perfection. I go back and trim them later for that!
4. When I had the entire board covered (except the unnecessary center), I flipped it over and trimmed the edges to clean it up!
5. For good measure, I flipped it over and checked to make sure I wouldn’t have any white showing once the cake was in place… and I was good to go! Okay, okay… looking at the pic below from this angle and the board doesn’t seem centered, but anyway… trust me, it was 😉
6. Last step… choose one of the tapes to wrap the edge of the board. The width of the ribbons is why I used four boards beneath the cake. If your tape is wider/narrower, you can use fewer or more boards! See below how the width of the ribbon was perfect to cover four cake rounds:
7. The board’s all ready to go, so now it’s time to make the bunting topper! Start by measuring out a piece of string. I do that by first laying two skewers out the width I want them to be – which is the same width (approximately) as the cake. If you’re doing a larger cake, you may not want the bunting so wide, but you can play with it to see what looks best for your cake!
I measured out my string with a little extra for the ends and so it could “sag” a little in the middle 🙂
8. Now take the tape and fold it over the string to make tiny little flags. It sticks to itself so it’s super easy! I don’t try to get them perfect just yet – we’ll trim them all in a bit!
9. I alternated the colors… adding in a fun polka dot with the glitter tapes! Don’t fret over those edges – we’re about to clean them up!
10. Take some scissors and trim each flag for clean decorative edges. I alternated between a few different cuts:
11. Tie the strings to the skewers and and here’s the finished topper:
12. My little 6″ round cake is sitting on a 6″ round board (that you can’t see) so I added some of the Scotch® Brand Double-Sided Tape between the decorated board and the board under the cake so it would stay in place.
13. Add the topper and your cake is done!!
I’m so in love with this design and how the board and topper brought the cake up to a whole new level!
Be sure to check out more amazing craft ideas with Scotch® Brand products. What do you think… can you see these products opening doors for more creative and beautiful cake boards and toppers? Leave me a comment!