- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2–3 lemons
- Slice lemons approximately 1/8th inch thick, throwing away the ends. The thickness can vary slightly but if they’re sliced too thin, the pulp might disintegrate when cooking.
- Remove seeds.
- In a large shallow pan, combine the water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer (med-low) and add lemon slices in a single layer.
- Simmer over medium heat for 20-40 minutes or until translucent. The cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the lemon slices. Flip them once or twice during the cooking process if the lemons start to curl up into little cups.
- While the lemons are cooking, preheat your oven to 200°F. Also, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat OR place a wire rack on your cookie sheet.
- Transfer the lemon slices to the cookie sheet, then bake for one hour.*
- Remove from the oven. The candied lemons can sit at room temperature for up to 24 hours before storing in an air-tight container.
Candied Lemons will keep in the fridge in single layers for up to 2 weeks or in single layers in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American