Homemade Vanilla Extract only has 2 ingredients, is super easy to make and will save you lots of money if you use it often. You can also package it up really pretty and it makes a lovely gift for family, friends, teachers, coworkers and more!
6–8 vanilla beans
8 oz. alcohol (vodka, rum, brandy, gin, bourbon, etc.)
8 oz. container with tight-sealing lid
1. Cut the ends off the vanilla beans and split them lengthwise. Don’t cut them completely in half, but cut off both ends of each bean (just a tiny bit) then draw a sharp knife down the length of each bean just to open it up a bit.
2. Place the beans into your bottles/jars and completely cover with alcohol. If the beans are too tall to cover, cut them into smaller pieces.
3. Shake them up and place them in a cool dark place. Set a reminder to shake them up at least once a week for 8 weeks. It’ll be even better after 10-12 weeks.
4. As you begin to use the vanilla, add more alcohol back to the bottle to keep the beans submersed. If you do not plan to refill, remove the beans after they become exposed or they will get slimy and/or moldy.
5. Unopened vanilla extract with the beans will last several years as long as the beans remain covered. If you remove the beans, it will last forever. As long as it still smells good, it’s good to use!
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade vanilla extract, vanilla, homemade, extract, gift, DIY gift, homemade gifts