A thick, smooth sweet and tart cream!
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lightly beat the 2 egg yolks in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together sugar and cornstarch.
- When heated, add in the water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until it thickens (1-2 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and spoon about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the small bowl with egg yolks and stir quickly until combined.
- Return the egg mixture back to the pan and continue to stir.
- Bring the pan back to medium heat.
- Continue stirring and cooking until the curd is thickened (1-2 min).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Cover with plastic wrap and cool before using. Note: put the plastic ON the curd to prevent a skin from forming.
- Yields about 1.5 cups
You can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Fold in some fresh whipped cream for a lighter filling in texture and flavor.
Stir some lemon curd into vanilla buttercream or cream cheese frosting to add a yummy lemon flavor!