- Cream together the shortening, butter and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs while mixing, then the vanilla. Mix until light and fluffy. Add in the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix thoroughly. No I don't sift it all together - no, I don't do it in a separate bowl. I just dump it all into my Kitchenaid with a SideSwipe Paddle. It works beautifully!
- Last, add the oats and nuts; mix just until incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. You can skip the parchment if you want to - but this goes back to me being lazy... no pan to wash! I really like the 3 Tbsp. size scoop.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool slightly (so they don't fall apart when you pick them up)... but not too much... they are extra delicious warm out of the oven!! They have a tiny crispy edge but they're soft and chewy with loads of texture! Perfection, I tell ya!
- **You can substitute 1/2 cup of butter for the shortening for a total of 1 cup of butter.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins