This “Over the Hill” 40th Birthday Cake was well…. a wee bit depressing and sort of amusing. Is that awful? Haha! I had someone tell me that I ought to have been ashamed for making this cake, but the truth is – I didn’t really find it offensive. She was ordering it for her husband and apparently they have a great sense of humor – so why not?!
I don’t have a lot of time today, so I’m gonna give you some short and fast details.
- This was a 10″ square cake plus I used the doll pan for the “hill”.
- The square cake was butter cake with strawberry cream cheese filling and the hill was lemon cake with strawberry cream cheese filling. I covered the outside with vanilla buttercream.
- I used this Sugarflair Gray Coloring for the gray frosting! I love this stuff!!
- I used Americolor Super Black for the borders. I also used crushed Oreos to cover the hill and give it the “dirt” texture.
- The rocks on the cake are these jelly beans… love those too!
- I used Satin Ice Black fondant for the numbers/letters and then mixed a little with homemade marshmallow fondant for the path.
- I used this texture mat for the stones/pebbles path.
- I cut “Happy Birthday” with Tappit Block Letter cutters. See how to use Tappit cutters HERE.
- The signs were cut out of gum paste, then after they dried, I “glued” them to lollipop sticks with melted candy melts.
- I wrote the words on with food markers!
- The walker was also made from gum paste with floral wires on the inside to add stability.
And I think that’s it… all the details I can give you about this “Over the Hill” 40th Birthday Cake! Did I miss anything? If I did, please leave me a comment and I’ll answer and help out if I can!
Looking for 40th Birthday Ideas? Here are a couple of others I’ve done:
This “Mod” 40th Birthday Cake was a little less depressing… bright and HAPPY!