Perfect soft sugar cookies.
- 1 cup real butter (2 sticks), softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups self-rising flour*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Next beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add in the flour a little at a time and stir until a very soft dough forms. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. This dough will still be a little sticky and is very soft, so be sure to be generous with the flour on your rolling pin and surface. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place cookies at least 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (9 minutes is perfect for me – no brown crispy edges or bottoms!). Allow the cookies to cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve plain (delicious!) or frost with your favorite frosting.
- *If you do not have self-rising flour, for each up of flour, substitute 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder.
- Category: desserts
Keywords: cookie, recipe, sugar cookies, soft, cut out, frosting