This Pink Sprinkles Christmas Tree Cake was easy to make, festive and so pretty. It's perfect for a Christmas celebration or December birthday!
I know Christmas is all wrapped up, but I just had to share this story with you ❤️️
Earlier this year, precious Mrs. Gladys (a sweet family friend) celebrated her 104th birthday and I made her a birthday cake, as I've done for many birthdays now.
Her sweet smile brings me so much joy and I just love her to pieces! And I love making her a cake! She only cares that it's wedding cake flavored and pink. I don't have them all shared, but I do have a couple:
More Pink Buttercream Cakes...
Shortly after this year's cake, her health declined dramatically and we thought she may not make it to Christmas. To make things easier, she was moved from their home here in Mississippi, back to the family home in Louisiana.
Overall, it was best for everyone. Except it meant Paula had to drive almost 3 hours (one way) every morning and again every afternoon to continue teaching here in Mississippi and caring for Mrs. Gladys in the evenings, in Louisiana.
After she was moved, to everyone's surprise and delight, she started to get stronger and stronger again. She began getting on her feet some (with her therapist) and eating small bites here and there.
Truth be told, Mrs. Gladys can't eat a lot, but cake melts in her mouth and she loves it! To keep her eating, they tried to trick her with a cake from a grocery store. To my delight, she quickly told them it was not a "Rose cake"... gotta love her!
After that, Mrs. Paula asked me about making a cake over Christmas break. But only if I had time. I didn't commit because I honestly wasn't sure I'd have the time and I didn't know if I'd see them over the break. Besides, I was sick at the time and had no idea how long I'd be sick.
But earlier in the week before Christmas, she told me she was driving up here to Mississippi to take care of some bills. After looking at what I had scheduled and knowing I was feeling a little better, I decided to make this last-minute cake for her as a surprise.
My Christmas gift to them.
Only God knows if she'll be here for her 105th birthday so if I can bring her joy with cake, I will. And as always, it's her favorite color (and mine)... PINK! 💕💕💕
I'm so blessed and privileged to call Paula and Mrs. Gladys my friends. Having them in my life makes it sweeter and I cherish opportunities to bake for them.
I pray that you all had a very, merry Christmas and have plans for a wonderful New Year. I can only hope to live as long as Mrs. Gladys and still be smiling and bringing joy to others at her age!
Details about the Pink Sprinkles Christmas Tree Cake:
- This cake is three (3) 7-inch layers of white almond sour cream cake, baked in my favorite Magic Line pans.
- It's filled and frosted with vanilla buttercream. A small spatula was used for the rustic texture.
- Americolor Electric Pink is what I used to color the buttercream.
- This Christmas tree cookie cutter is perfect to make the shape on the cake, then filled it with sprinkles and outlined with buttercream. This technique is taught in my new book, Cake Decorating for Beginners.
- I used a sprinkles mix from Sweetapolita that seems to no longer be available, but this one is similar.
- I used a single star sprinkle for the top of the tree.
- The border is piped with a #22 piping tip - also taught in my new book.