This Red Velvet Cake recipe is cake mix based but doctored up to taste like it came straight out of a bakery! It's easy, delicious and beautiful.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) white or yellow cake mix (I use Pillsbury)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 oz. red food coloring
- ½ tbsp. almond extract
- ½ tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 (3.4 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
Find the cream cheese frosting recipe here.
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Spray two 7-inch or 8-inch pans with non-stick spray or use parchment paper (see how to do this perfectly here).
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together (I like to mix it for at least 3 minutes).
- Bake at 325° for about 35-45 minutes (for 7" or 8" round pans).
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then flip out and completely cool on a cooling rack.
- Instead of my Aunt Carols Cream Cheese frosting (which is delicious, but not made for decorating), I used my Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe and added 1 Tbsp. of Almond extract to make it more traditional. You can also add nuts to the frosting if you like... something very popular around where I live!
*If you like, you can also use an extra 3 ounces or 1/2 cup of dry cake mix to match the flavor you used in the cake.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red velvet, red, velvet, red velvet cake, easy, red velvet cake recipe, cake mix, doctored,