- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped*
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts**
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar***
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- For the dressing, heat the vinegar in the microwave until boiling (usually 1-2 minutes – I do this in a large Pyrex glass measuring cup). Add the sugar, lemon juice, and salt and whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow the dressing to cool to room temperature.
- When cooled, add in the oil, poppy seeds, dry mustard and paprika; whisk until thoroughly combined. Set dressing aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the spinach, artichoke hearts, strawberries, and walnuts. When ready to serve, add about half of the dressing to the salad and toss again.
- Serve the remaining dressing along side the salad and add more as desired!
Once I used hearts of palm instead of artichokes. It was good, but I like the artichoke hearts better.
*I have used chopped pecans instead of walnuts – equally delicious!
***The hostess that gave me this recipe said she had substituted Splenda for the sugar and made it more diabetic friendly. I haven’t tried that, but if you want to cut the sugar, give it a try!