This vanilla cake is much denser and sturdier than plain boxed mix. It's delicious, moist, and dense enough to stand up to multiple tiers! I love it! Makes approximately 5 cups of batter.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) White Cake Mix, I prefer Pillsbury*
- 3 oz. extra cake mix or 3 oz. all purpose flour
- 3 Whole Large Eggs (or 2/3 cup of egg whites)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) of instant vanilla pudding mix** (or use white chocolate pudding for a whiter cake)
- *Be sure to read my post on adjusting recipes for smaller cake mixes!
- **Use the DRY pudding mix - do not actually make pudding!
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Bake at 325° for about 38-45 minutes (for pans 10" and smaller), just until a toothpick comes out clean. If your pans are larger, the cooking time may be up to an hour or more..
- Allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then flip out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Please see notes below the recipe for updates and tips!