If you love coffee, you’re going to love this Vanilla Coffee Cake with Cream Coffee Buttercream Frosting. It’s a moist, coffee-infused cake with hints of chocolate and vanilla, topped with delicious coffee-flavored buttercream.
- 1 White or Yellow Cake Mix (I prefer Pillsbury)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- 1 box instant French Vanilla Pudding mix
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee (I used Nescafe samples)
- 1/2 cup warm water
For the Frosting
- 1 stick of butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening (3.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 pounds confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3–5 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water (optional)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup cocoa powder (optional)
- For the cake, preheat oven to 325°. Mix water and instant coffee. Heat in a microwave for 30 seconds and stir to dissolve. Allow to cool (I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes) before mixing in. Mix all ingredients except the chocolate chips (including the cooled coffee). Beat on medium until the batter is very smooth. Gently stir in the chocolate chips, if desired.
- Pour into 2 prepared 8″ pans and bake for 20-25 minutes (test with toothpick). If using cupcakes, it makes about 30 cupcakes and you’ll need to bake for 18-20 minutes.
- For the frosting, cream the butter, cream cheese and shortening together until smooth. Add in the brown sugar and mix well. Then add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time until well combined (it will be a little dry). Pour in the vanilla and add milk until desired texture is obtained.
- For the piping on this cake, I added in some cocoa powder to make it brown (and chocolatey). For other variations on this frosting, visit this post: Vanilla Coffee Cupcakes with Three Frostings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
Keywords: coffee, cake, chocolate, coffee flavored cake, coffee cake, buttercream, mocha,