- 1 stick of butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening (3.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 pounds confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water (optional)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup cocoa powder (optional)
- Don’t forget… for the cake/cupcakes recipe, click here: Vanilla Coffee Cake Recipe
- Now, for the frosting(s)… cream the butter, cream cheese and shortening together until smooth. Add in the brown sugar and mix well. Then add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time until well combined (it will be a little dry). Pour in the vanilla and add milk until desired texture is obtained.
- The frosting is delicious just like that, but if you want to jazz it up… add the liquid coffee and or/cocoa! The amount of liquid may have to be adjusted to account for the other flavors (ie., add more milk to off-set the dry cocoa, or use less milk if adding liquid coffee).