So, after making some tiny changes and measuring in a new way, I’ve started calling this White Sour Cream Cake.
It’s really very similar to a thousand other recipes out there on the world wide web, but I thought it would be a great recipe to share my updated version.
Granted, I still use the White Almond Sour Cream Recipe (as is) for a traditional “wedding cake” flavor, but I also enjoy mixing it up and making this doctored cake mix recipe into just a vanilla cake or a lemon cake or whatever flavor is calling my name!
White Sour Cream Cake
- 4 cups of white cake mix (approximately 20 ounces by weight)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 3 large whole eggs (use 4 egg whites if you prefer a super white cake, but I find the whole eggs still yield a very pretty white cake)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract*
- *or substitute with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of almond extract for a White Almond Sour Cream Cake
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix together all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and beat on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until well combined. I use a hand-mixer for this step or I double it and put it in my Bosch mixer when I’m doing big orders!
- This recipe will not rise as much as other cake recipes, so fill your pans about 3/4 full. Bake at 325°F (time depends on the size pans used*). Generally, I bake 8″ round pan for 38-43 minutes or cupcakes for 18-19 minutes.
- This recipe yields enough batter for (2) 8″ round pans that are 2″ deep. I used less batter per pan and made a 3-layer cake for these pictures!
P.S. Do any of you have a great recipe for a white velvet cake? I had a slice of white velvet a few months back but haven’t been able to find a recipe that tastes the same! I’m pretty sure the recipe was cake-mix-based, but there must have been a secret ingredient I’m missing!
P.S. #2 If you’re not already subscribed to my blog, would you? You can sign up here for my free email updates and then you’ll never miss a cake or dessert or deal or any other quirky thing I choose to post here! 🙂