This simple homemade butter pound cake is melt in your mouth delicious and the cream cheese glaze is the silver lining!
- 2¾ cups sugar
- ¾ cup salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup shortening
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
For the Glaze:
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp milk (more or less to reach desired consistency)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cream together the sugar, butter and shortening until smooth then beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt).
- Add this flour mixture and the evaporated milk to the original mixture alternately. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, then fold in the sour cream.
- Pour the batter into a prepared bundt pan.
- Bake at 325°F until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean – approximately 55-60 minutes.
- Flip onto a cooling rack and allow it to cool for at least 1 hour.
For the glaze:
- In a medium mixing bowl, on medium speed, blend together the cream cheese and butter until well combine and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of sugar and vanilla; mix about 1 minute until well combine.
- Add the milk and possibly more sugar – until you get a consistency you like. I prefer the glaze pretty thick and creamy.
- Pour/drizzle over the finished cake and enjoy!