Sometimes I like to get back to the basics of baking – simple and delicious and old-fashioned. Those are words that perfectly describe this Homemade Butter Pound Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Glaze.
This cake is the perfect for a family get-together, church potluck or even a bake sale (it always sells really fast at our bake sales!). It comes together easily and is always a crowd-pleaser.
I should also tell you – you don’t really need the glaze for this cake to be complete. It’s perfectly delicious all on it’s own. In fact, when I bake it for bake sales, I usually leave the glaze off simply because it’s easier to package.
Oh… and if you happen to taste the batter – you might be in trouble. I could eat the batter by the spoonful without ever baking it… so be careful if you taste it… it’s quite addictive! Haha!
Anyway… eat the cake all by itself, or if you have the time and you really want to take it up a notch – pour on the glaze. Double the glaze even – I like it thick and creamy and over the top 🙂
I might even eat the glaze straight out of the spoon (just like the cake batter!)… just don’t tell anybody!
A couple of notes – this is the exact recipe I use for my Perfect Petit-Fours and I cannot recommend it enough! Also, I got this recipe from my friend Angela when she asked that I use it for her daughter’s wedding cake and it worked beautifully (if you have a bride who wants a pound cake wedding cake):
So are you ready?
Here’s the recipe for ya!Print
This simple homemade butter pound cake is melt in your mouth delicious and the cream cheese glaze is the silver lining!
- 2¾ cups sugar
- ¾ cup salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup shortening
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
For the Glaze:
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cream together the sugar, butter and shortening until smooth then beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt).
- Add this flour mixture and the evaporated milk to the original mixture alternately. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, then fold in the sour cream.
- Pour the batter into a prepared bundt pan.
- Bake at 325°F until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean – approximately 55-60 minutes.
- Flip onto a cooling rack and allow it to cool for at least 1 hour.
For the glaze:
- In a medium mixing bowl, on medium speed, blend together the cream cheese and butter until well combine and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of sugar and vanilla; mix about 1 minute until well combine.
- Add the milk and possibly more sugar – until you get a consistency you like. I prefer the glaze pretty thick and creamy.
- Pour/drizzle over the finished cake and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert