These multicolored candied, splattered and glittered apples will surely be the highlight of any get together.
- 6–8 medium apples (washed, dried & stems removed)**
- 3 cups of white sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or other flavoring)
- 2 tbsp white food coloring (I recommend AmeriColor Bright White Soft Gel Paste or Lorann White Food Coloring)
- 1–2 tsp. of gel coloring (whichever color you want your apples to be! – I used Americolor Electric Pink and Americolor Orange) – the more color you use, the brighter the apples will be!)
- Candy Apple Sticks (or craft sticks or short dowels)
- ** I used rather large Granny Smith Apples. I love the tartness of the green apples, but I wish they had been smaller. They were hard to wrap and I wasn’t able to dip as many as the recipe indicated!
Other things you’ll need:
- Cookie Sheet
- Non-stick Spray
- Heavy Duty Boiler or Sauce Pan
- Candy Thermometer
- Rubber Spatula
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, and food coloring (both the white and color you want the apples to be) in a heavy boiler (sauce pan). Turn on medium to high heat and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Be sure to have a candy thermometer inserted into the mixture but not touching the bottom!
- Let the candy come to 302°F (hard crack stage). This will take about 20 minutes. There’s no need to stir or disturb the mixture while it heats… just be patient!
- While that’s going on… make sure your apples are ready (washed, dried, and on the sticks!), then spray a cookie sheet with non-stick butter spray. The “butter” flavor isn’t necessary, but butter makes everything better, right? If you don’t have butter, just use regular non-stick cooking spray.
- When the candy reaches 302°, immediately remove it from the heat and use a rubber spatula to stir in the vanilla (or other flavor). Stir it gently to get the flavor evenly incorporated but without mixing in too much air.
- You’ll want to work quickly because the candy will start to cool immediately. As soon as the flavor is evenly mixed in, begin dipping your apples.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: candy apples, glitter, purple, from scratch, gold, colors, no bubbles