The perfect recipes for making Gingerbread Houses from scratch with the cutest Mini Gingerbread House Cookie Cutter! A no-spread gingerbread recipe and a fast-dry icing to hold the houses together.
For the No-spread Gingerbread Dough / Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 6 Tbsp salted butter,softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses (unsulphured, not blackstrap)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–3 tsp milk, if needed
- For the Fast-Dry Icing:
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 3 pasteurized egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and spices. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together just until combined. Do not overmix at this point – no need for the usual “light and fluffy”.
- Add the egg and mix just until combined.
- Next add the molasses and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Begin adding the flour while mixing a little at a time. Continue mixing until all the flour is added and until a dough forms. If your dough is dry and/or crumbly, begin adding teaspoons of milk, just until it forms a firm dough. You don’t want it sticky or wet.
- Lightly flour your surface, then roll out the dough to 1/4″ thickness.
- Bake on a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or lined with parchment paper for 8-9 minutes.
For the icing:
- With an electric hand mixer (or a stand mixer if you prefer), mix all ingredients in a large bowl until it forms soft peaks.
- Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use to prevent hardening.
If you’re making the dough ahead of time, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Before you begin rolling it out, bring it to room temperature. It’s really hard to roll it out if it’s cold!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Gingerbread, no-spread gingerbread, no-spread, gingerbread cookies, gingerbread houses, cookies, Christmas, icing, gingerbread house icing, icing, royal icing, fast-dry icing