In only five minutes, you can bring out the nutty flavor of your coconut and give it beautiful golden brown color! Once you learn how to toast coconut, you'll see that it's the easiest thing ever and it's useful in so many recipes!
● 4 Cups Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Measure out the coconut then spread it into an even layer on a clean, dry baking sheet.
- Bake for 4 minutes before using a spatula to stir and turn the coconut.
- Every minute or so after that, stir the coconut until it has reached a nice golden color. The total time could vary anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.
- It takes more or less time depending on how thick your layer of coconut is and whether or not you line the pan with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Immediately remove the coconut off the baking sheet and into a plastic bowl to cool
- Use as needed to garnish your desserts!
- It’s crucial that you watch the coconut closely once it reaches the 5-minute cooking mark. Especially on the edges, it will cook fast and burn just as fast. I left it for a minute too long and it had to be thrown in the trash. Learn from my mistake and babysit your coconut.
- You can use any type of coconut you like including shaved, flaked or shredded coconut. While this recipe calls for sweetened coconut, the recipe works well with unsweetened coconut as well.
- The perfect toasted coconut, in my opinion, has a tricolor. This means that your coconut will have three varying shades. I find this looks gorgeous on desserts, like Coconut Cream Pie, or anything else I’m using it on.
- It’s okay if your coconut isn’t perfectly flat or in a single layer. This will give you more of that color I mentioned in the previous tip. Some of the coconut will overlap and bunch up a bit. That’s ok, just keep adjusting it and it will cook.
- If you only want your toasted coconut to be one color, or the color to be as uniform as possible, make the layers thinner and watch it very closely starting at the one-minute mark while cooking. Take it out as soon as you see the desired shade of brown.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to toast coconut, toasted coconut, toasting coconut, toasting coconut in oven, toasting coconut in stove, toasting coconut in microwave, toasted coconut cake