These Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn Balls are a delicious chewy, gooey treat! They’re a perfect treat for little ones, school parties or a Harvest Party! A simple caramel syrup is combined with mini-marshmallows to create a batch of chewy, gooey popcorn balls.
4 quarts popped corn (about 2/3 cup kernels)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups mini-marshmallows
Additions (optional): chopped candy corn, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, caramel bits, mini M&M’s
- Place a sheet of parchment on a large baking sheet to set the completed popcorn balls on.
- Put the popped corn in a very large lightly-buttered bowl or pot. Set aside.
- In a large 3-quart pot, combine butter, brown sugar, honey, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook at a low boil (adjust the heat if necessary) for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove pan from heat and add the vanilla and marshmallows. Stir well until all of the marshmallows have melted.
- Pour the hot marshmallow mixture over the popcorn (be very careful – it will be extremely hot!) and stir with a sturdy spoon until all of the popcorn has been coated. If you choose to add candy or nuts, you can either add them now or sprinkle different additions in as you form each ball, for more variety.
- Use slightly damp or buttered hands to form the balls, or you can use disposable gloves. Scoop up a large handful of popcorn mixture and press it together between your hands to form a ball shape about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Popcorn balls are easier to eat when they aren’t packed too hard; just give them a nice firm squeeze!
- Place each completed ball on the parchment covered baking sheet and allow them to sit at room temperature for an hour before putting in bags or storing in a food container.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween, popcorn, caramel, marshmallow, snack, treat, popcorn balls, Fall