- 2 Tablespoons of Meringue Powder
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 pound of powdered sugar, sifted (I don’t always sift but it is recommended!)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- A few drops of clear extract (I used vanilla… you could use almond, lemon, etc.)
- In a mixing bowl, add the meringue powder and water.
- Beat with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Add in the sifted powder sugar, mix slowly until combined.
- Add the corn syrup and any extract, if desired.
- Increase speed to high and beat for around 5 minutes, until you get stiff glossy peaks.
- Do not overbeat!
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap – make sure it touches the icing or the icing will harden!
When the icing is at this stiff consistency, it is perfect for outlining cookies; just spoon it into a frosting bag with a small round top. To fill in or “flood” the cookies, add water (a teaspoon at a time) to your icing until it reaches the consistency of syrup. Use a toothpick to pop any air bubbles or to spread the icing to the edges… obviously I need to work on this step… I had quite a bit of overflow!! 🙂
This was enough for about 20 cookies.