- 1 (15.25 oz) white cake mix – I use Pillsbury White Cake Mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (OR 1 cup of AP flour + 1/2 cup extra cake mix)
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (or omit the almond and do 2 tsp. of vanilla)
- 4 egg whites (for true white) or 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and beat on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until well combined. Bake at 325° (time depends on the size pans used*). I bake cupcakes for 18 minutes or cakes in 8″ round pan for 35-38 minutes.
- You can use only 1 cup of flour and an extra 3 oz. of cake mix if you like
- This recipe doubles beautifully.
- Yogurt (plain, Greek or vanilla) can be substituted for the sour cream.
- If you buy the boxed egg whites, you’ll need 2/3 cup.