This Apple Crisp for a Crowd is warm and packed with flavor, soft and crispy, sweet and tart. The taste and texture are almost better than an apple pie, but you can still serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and have a perfect comfort food. It makes enough for a big family or potluck!
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) salted butter, cut into cubes and softened
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
For the filling:
- For the topping, mix together the flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl. Add in the butter and use a pastry blender or fork to cut in the butter until you have large crumbles. Stir in the oats at the end. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes while preparing the filling.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. For the filling, peel, core and slice your apples very thin, then immediately toss with lemon juice to prevent browning. Then add in the sugars, cinnamon and vanilla extract; toss until well coated.
- Spread the apples in a large baking dish (mine is 17.5″x12.5″), then cover with the chilled topping! Bake until the apples are bubbly and the topping is browned – around 1 hour. Let it cool at least 10 minutes before serving, then top with whipped cream, ice cream and.or caramel sauce if desired!
- Category: Dessert