Today I want to share with you an awesome new dessert, Apple Crisp for a Crowd. I made it with my husband and large family in mind, but it would be perfect for a big family get-together, a potluck or a church dinner!
But before I get to the recipe… let me tell you a little back story. Ironically,my husband isn’t a huge dessert eater. In fact, he rarely asks for dessert at all, but when he does, it’s often in the form of an apple pie.
He’s been working really long hours for several weeks now and I feel like I barely see him, so I’ve been trying to make meals a little extra special and throw in a dessert that he loves from time to time. It’s my way of showing him how much I appreciate is hard work and long hours… and it keeps a little spark in our marriage when we do special things like this for each other. Ya know?
Anyway, the problem is, his favorite apple pie is never enough with our family of eight. As our family grows, the boys are eating so much more and I’m having to adjust recipes to larger and larger quantities so that we all get full. I knew I’d have to do the same with dessert and I started thinking about an apple crisp instead of an apple pie.
I’ve seen several recipes floating around but all were to be baked in 8×8 or 9×9 square pans. Of course, that wouldn’t be any better than a single apple pie so I set out to double or triple a recipe to satisfy our large family. I know, I know… that’s a lot of apples, but it’s necessary and it’s how this Apple Crisp for a Crowd was born.
The dessert is warm and packed with flavor, soft and crispy, sweet and tart. The taste and texture are almost better than an apple pie (shhhh – don’t tell the hubby I said so), but you can still serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and have a perfect comfort food.
Other Apple Recipes you’ll love:
- Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel and Pecans
- Caramel Apple Toffee Cake
- Carmel Apple Spice Cake Recipe
- Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
Please note: I bake this recipe in a huge 17.5″ x 12.5″ pan. If you have a smaller pan, you may need to spread it into 2 pans.
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
This Apple Crisp for a Crowd is warm and packed with flavor, soft and crispy, sweet and tart. The taste and texture are almost better than an apple pie, but you can still serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and have a perfect comfort food. It makes enough for a big family or potluck!
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) salted butter, cut into cubes and softened
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
For the filling:
- For the topping, mix together the flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl. Add in the butter and use a pastry blender or fork to cut in the butter until you have large crumbles. Stir in the oats at the end. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes while preparing the filling.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. For the filling, peel, core and slice your apples very thin, then immediately toss with lemon juice to prevent browning. Then add in the sugars, cinnamon and vanilla extract; toss until well coated.
- Spread the apples in a large baking dish (mine is 17.5″x12.5″), then cover with the chilled topping! Bake until the apples are bubbly and the topping is browned – around 1 hour. Let it cool at least 10 minutes before serving, then top with whipped cream, ice cream and.or caramel sauce if desired!
- Category: Dessert