simple layer cake or a multi-tiered elegant wedding cake and can be paired with so many fillings and frosting. This is a doctored cake mix recipe.
- 4 cups of white boxed cake mix (approximately 20 ounces by weight, I prefer Pillsbury)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 3 large whole eggs (use 4 egg whites if you prefer a super white cake, but I find the whole eggs still yield a very pretty white cake)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix together all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and beat on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until well combined. I use a hand-mixer for this step or I double it and put it in my Bosch mixer when I'm doing big orders!
- This recipe will not rise as much as other cake recipes, so fill your pans about 3/4 full. Bake at 325°F (time depends on the size pans used*). Generally, I bake 8-inch round pans for 38-45 minutes or cupcakes for 19 minutes.
- This recipe yields enough batter for (2) 8″ round pans that are 2″ deep. I used less batter per pan and made a 3-layer cake for these pictures!
- Test for doneness with a toothpick in the center. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then flip them out on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Layer, frost & enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white cake, vanilla bean cake, vanilla bean cake recipe, cake mix recipe, doctored cake mix, vanilla bean paste cake recipe, simple vanilla bean cake recipe