This Vanilla Bean Cake recipe is delicious, moist and so versatile. The recipe works beautifully for a simple layer cake or a multi-tiered elegant wedding cake and can be paired with so many fillings and frosting. This is a doctored cake mix recipe.
One of those changes led to me omitting the almond altogether and replacing it with vanilla bean paste, making this Vanilla Bean Cake Recipe.
It still starts with a boxed cake mix, as it always has and the results are a win with all of my clients. I know there's a lot of controversy over using boxed mixes but my clients really love the box cake mix taste! So much so that for the most part, I replaced this vanilla cake recipe (that I used to use) with the Vanilla Bean Paste Cake Recipe you're seeing here.
Granted, I still use the White Almond Sour Cream Recipe (as is) for a traditional "wedding cake" flavor, but for those who don't like almond, I also enjoy mixing it up and making this doctored cake mix recipe into just a simple, classic Vanilla Cake recipe.
Simple Vanilla Bean Cake Recipe Ingredients
- White cake mix - I prefer Pillsbury brand, but when it's not available, I'll use Duncan Hines. To change it up a bit, you could also substitute French Vanilla Cake Mix.
- All-purpose flour - this adds extra volume to the cake batter but also contributes to the fine texture of the cake.
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream - you can substitute plain or vanilla yogurt here. Greek yogurt works as well. Any of these ingredients keep the cake super moist.
- Vegetable oil
- Water - this is the primary liquid in this cake.
- Large eggs - I use whole eggs for a rich flavor but if you want a more "white" cake batter, you can use 4 egg whites in place of 3 whole eggs.
- Vanilla Bean Paste - if you don't have this, you can use vanilla extract, but the vanilla bean paste adds a depth of vanilla flavor that makes it stand out!
Equipment & Tools
- Mixing Bowls and Hand Mixer
- or Stand Mixer, such as my favorite Bosch Mixer
- Round Cake Pans
- Silicone Spatula
There are so many great frostings and fillings to pair with this vanilla cake. Here are my top choices: