After sending an email about the current 99¢ Craftsy sale, I had a reader (hi Cristina! 👋) asking if I recommended any particular classes. I thought many of you might be interested in my answer as well. So here's a fairly comprehensive list of Craftsy Cake Decorating Classes that I recommend!
This 99¢ offer was offered last week for only 4 days, then extended and now will expire on Sunday, August 8 at midnight (unless it's extended again).
This will also give you an idea of the value of what you're getting when you sign up for this fantastic deal! I have previously said that there were over 60 baking and cake decorating classes. Boy was I wrong.
There are over 200 (203 by my count) classes in the Cake Decorating Category!!
Y'all. There's so much you can learn!!
So, I have not taken anywhere close to all of the Craftsy classes and several of my favorites disappeared when ownership changed a while back, but I'll share the ones that I have taken that are still included.
This is not a list of ALL the classes, but this is a list of all the classes I've watched (as best I remember). I won't be able to share details on all of them, but I'll share as many as I have time to write about tonight! Let's go!
1. Cake Business Classes
There are a handful of terrific classes to help you get your business up and going with smart business choices!! Here are the ones I've taken:
- How to Start Your Cake Business
- How to Grow Your Cake Business
- Building Your Business: Beautiful Cake Photography - this class helped me improve my photography in so many ways!! Better photos = more sales, so definitely watch this class if you struggle with getting great photos of your cakes.
- Building Your Business: Decorate for Success
- Small Cakes, Big Business
- Better Cakes in 29 Tools - a list of 29 essential tools, why you need them and what you do with them.
- Get Started Decorating: Quick Birthday Cake Ideas
2. Recipe Classes
I honestly don't use a lot of these recipes but I did learn some great tips and techniques. And if you need from-scratch recipes to get your business off the ground, this is a great place to start (and there are more recipe classes than these... these are just the only ones I've watched).
- Decadent Chocolate Cakes
- Creative Flavors for Cakes, Fillings & Frostings
3. Jessica Harris Cake Classes
Okay - I watched and loved every class that Jessica Harris has on Craftsy. Her techniques are flawless. And I love that she has creative ways to deliver amazing cakes without buying all the trendy tools. She's a big fan of "making do" with what you have!
Her classes cover SO MANY topics - if you can only watch a few classes, hers are at the top of my list (which is why they got their own category)!!
- Clean & Simple Cake Design
- Simply Modern Cake Design
- Clean & Simple Birthday Cakes
- The Clean & Simple Collection: Elegant Techniques
4. Fondant Classes
- Covering Cakes in Fondant: Round, Square & Shaped - if you struggle with fondant, watch this class!
- Fondant Frills - I loved this Maggie Austin Class and it's where I learned to make frilly ruffles like the cake here:
- Rolled Fondant Flowers - I've used these over and over again!
- Cakes in Full Bloom - this class is where I learned to do edible sequins on cake. So many great ideas and tips!
- Perfect Party Cakes
- A Cake for Every Season
- Creative Cuts for Color Reveals - I watched this class solely to learn how to do a cake for my son. See it here:
- Fabulous Bows & Fashion Details - this class is SO great for learning to make beautiful bows for cakes!!
- Layered Embellishments: 12 Stunning Techniques
- Charming Party Cakes - I've used several techniques and tutorials from this class over and over again!
- Ethereal Elegance: Bohemian Cake Design - what I remember from this class is learning to make feathers!
5. Buttercream Classes
- Innovative Buttercream Cakes
- Modern Buttercream Techniques: Ruffles, Rosettes & More
- The Perfect Birthday Cake - this is by and far one of my most favorite Craftsy classes. If you want to perfect the sheet cake, watch this class!
- Better Buttercream: Stunning Techniques
- Buttercream Basics: Simple Celebration Cakes
- Buttercream in Bloom: Luscious Piped Flowers - I loved learning to do buttercream flowers from this class (although I never felt like I mastered the techniques)
6. Modeling Chocolate Classes
- Intro to Modeling Chocolate - this is a great class if modeling chocolate is a new medium for you!
- Modeling Chocolate Magic
- Over the Top Modeling Chocolate
- Mastering in Minutes: Modeling Chocolate
7. Wafer Paper Classes
Because of my hand pain, I don't make a lot of flowers these days, but I have made a few and these classes are so, SO helpful for mastering wafer paper flowers. And I like them better than gum-paste or buttercream flowers! You can read about the cake below here.
- Delicate Wafer-Paper Cakes
- Bold & Beautiful Wafer-Paper Flowers
- Wafer Paper Party Cakes
8. Cake Carving Classes
- Topsy-Turvy Cake Construction
- Cake-osaurus Rex: Basic Cake Sculpting
- Designer Handbag Cakes
- A New Look at the Crooked Cake - when I do a topsy-turvy cake, I use techniques learned in this class!
- Incredible Cut-Out Cakes
- Sculpting Essentials: The Perfect Sphere
9. Cake Toppers & Sculpting
- Cake Topper Techniques: Figure Modeling
- Cake Topper Techniques: Fondant Animals
- Custom Cake Toppers: Step by Step
- The Modern Monogram - I've used some of these techniques for cake toppers!
- Baby Shoes: Step by Step
10. Petit Fours
I'm only listing one class here, but this class helped me perfect my petit fours more than any other resource. And my petit fours are AMAZING (if I can say that about my own product).
- Mini-Cakes, Many Occassions
10. Sugar Flowers
- Mastering Modern Sugar Flowers
- Arranging Sugar Flowers: From Classic to Contemporary - I feel very "fish out of water" when I have to arrange flowers on a cake. This class helped me learn some basics and build confidence in this area.
- Sugar Flowers: Out of the Box!
- Simply Stunning: Hand-Stamped Cakes
- Gravity-Defying Cake Designs
- The Art of Painted Cakes
- Building Better Cakes: Creative Cake Separators
- Getting Started Airbrushing
- Naturally Elegant Cake Designs - this is the class you need if you want to make the now-classic Geode Cake!
So... are you ready to join Craftsy and take advantage of this amazing deal? Click here to sign up now! Here are a few more details if you like:
This premium membership is normally $89.99 and in addition to the 200+ cake decorating classes, thare are over a thousand more crafty classes for most anything you can imagine! Here's what's included:
- Access to over 1,500 premium online crafting classes: cake decorating, baking, quilting, sewing, cooking, crafting, fabric arts, crocheting, drawing, painting, and SO much more!
- Admission to exclusive LIVE online streaming events.
- Weekly newsletter with insights and inspiration.
- Access to online instruction across 20+ hobbies.
- Free downloadable resources.