As usual, I'm terribly behind on posting pictures of cakes and recipes and tutorials. In fact, I baked this Broccoli, Rice & Cheese Casserole way back in July and I'm just now getting around to posting things I did two months ago!
Oh well. Better late than never, right? So it's starting to feel (almost) like Fall here in southern Mississippi, which is such a nice change from the stifling heat and humidity following Hurricane Isaac for the couple of weeks or more. And with fall comes Thanksgiving... then Christmas.... and ahhh... the blessed cool weather!
This recipe I'm sharing definitely feels like Fall to me too, although I actually made it back in July when those beautiful bright red juicy tomatoes were fresh out of my brother's garden...mmmmmmm!!! You can't get tomatoes like that at the Walmarts. I'm just sayin'.
Anyway... the recipe says "fall" to me because my Aunt Susie has been making it for ages for our family get-together's which are usually around the holidays.
A while back (I actually think it was around last Christmas), I was craving this yummy dish, so I asked my Aunt Susie for the recipe. It took e me forever to get around to it, but I finally made it and was (of course) not disappointed. So... I took a few pics and decided to share it with YOU!
It's not fancy, but it's delicious and easy and comforting... and I look forward to making it again very soon! What more could you ask for? OH, and it's great for potlucks... try it the next time you need to take a dish to church or a get-together! You will come home with an empty dish!
Here's a printable version for you and I'd love it if you'd hover over the pictures and Pin this recipe!Print
- 2 (10 oz.) boxes chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoon. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar Cheez Whiz
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is clear and tender. Pour in the Cheez Whiz and cream of mushroom soup. Stir until melted and well combined.
- Place the broccoli in a 9x13 casserole dish with the cooked rice. Pour the soup mixture over the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly!
- *Note: You can substitute Velveeta for the Cheez Whiz if you like. Either way it's delicious!!
Love broccoli? Check out my other recipes here: