How to Make Watermelon Cupcakes. Summer is here and it’s time to have watermelon… cupcakes that is 😉 Check out this fun and easy recipe for bright, summery cupcakes that are also delicious!
It’s no secret that I really, really don’t like summertime. I hate being hot and sweaty. I don’t like the beach or sand. I’m not into outdoor sports or well… anything hot. But one thing I do love about summertime is cool, fresh watermelons… and these Watermelon Cupcakes!
Speaking of watermelons… we haven’t planted any in the past couple of years, but we still eat several each summer. I have a favorite Uncle Jug who gives them to us several times throughout the season… and we love him and his watermelons!
Well… he’s not my uncle technically. My MawMaw married my PawPaw. Her sister married his brother. Two sisters married two brothers… you still with me? There’s more.
Mawmaw & PawPaw had 6 kids… Aunt Evelyn & her husband had 7 kids. Those 13 kids are all double-first cousins. I’m the oldest child of one of MawMaw & PawPaws kids (obviously). Uncle Jug is the child of Aunt Evelyn. So Uncle Jug is actually my second cousin…. doubled? It doesn’t matter… he’s always been my uncle.
And we love him to pieces. Today is his birthday by the way… Happy Birthday Uncle Jug!
Why am I telling you this? I have no idea. I wanted to make some cupcakes that looked like watermelons and that seemed like a good intro to mention Uncle Jug and his birthday. But that’s neither here nor there… let’s get on with it and let me tell you how I made these…
… Watermelon Cupcakes.
If you want to get technical, these are chocolate chip cupcakes (with red & pink food coloring) topped with brown sugar buttercream… colored lime green. So a Chocolate Chip Cupcake with Brown Sugar Buttercream. Basically they’re heaven. Dressed up as a Watermelon Cupcake.
Is that weird?? Looks like watermelon and tastes like a chocolate chip cookie? Okay… maybe it is, but still. They’re delicious and beautiful. And bright and summery and fun. Win, win, win!
A few details:
- I used this chocolate chip cupcake recipe.
- They are topped with brown sugar buttercream.
- The frosting is piped with an Ateco #825 Tip.
- I scoop my cupcake batter with a medium cookie scoop.
Are you ready for the recipe?
You can join my daily email list by entering your email below and you’ll get a pretty printable pdf of the recipe in your inbox immediately!!
Or you can scroll down to the recipe card and print from there!Print
. Summer is here and it’s time to have watermelon… cupcakes that is 😉 Check out this fun and easy recipe for bright, summery cupcakes that are also delicious!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 Butter Cake Mix (I prefer Pillsbury Golden Butter Recipe)
- 1 box (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup real butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz. sour cream
- Red and Pink food coloring to reach desired “watermelon” color
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Thoroughly mix first 7 ingredients together.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the cupcake liners approximately ⅔ full of batter. I love to use a cookie scoop to get the perfect amount for each cupcake!
- Bake for 17-18 minutes, until the cupcakes are very lightly browned and spring back when touched in the center.
For the Frosting
- Cream the butter, cream cheese and shortening together until smooth.
- Add in the brown sugar and mix well.
- Add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time until well combined (it will be a little dry). Pour in the vanilla and add milk until desired texture is obtained.
- Add the green food coloring to reach the desired color.
- Cuisine: dessert
If you want to jazz the cupcakes up even more, check out this post on How to Make Easy Watermelon Cupcake Toppers: