I have had a splitting headache since the wee hours of the morning, but I am determined to blog today so this is gonna be one of those short & sweet posts! This Cowboy Cake and Smash Cakes were done for two little boys celebrating their 1st and 2nd birthdays together 🙂
As far as cake decorating goes, I've done the cowboy cakes enough that now I'm pretty comfortable rolling them out without too much fuss or stress and these were no different.
Here's what I can tell you about these cakes:
- For the big cake, the tiers were 6" and 8" rounds, baked in my favorite Magic Line pans.
- The bottom tier was white almond sour cream and the top tier was vanilla cake.
- See my tutorial HERE for How to Stack Cakes!
- The middle tier was covered in Satin Ice Red Fondant, then I did paisley cut-outs (using plain comma cutters) and painted the white dots to get the bandana pattern. I have a How to Make a Fondant Bandana Knot Tutorial here.
- The bottom tier was simply random cut pieces of Satin Ice Black Fondant attached to the cake covered in white homemade marshmallow fondant with shortening.
- For the rope border, I used my extruder - see 8 Ways to Use an Extruder for Cake Decorating here.
- The cowboy hat was made from rice cereal treats. You can see my tutorial for How to Make a Cowboy Hat Topper here.
- The numbers were cut with these Fox Run number cutters. For each number, I cut out two pieces (using Satin Ice Red fondant with tylose added) then glued them together with sugar glue (see how to make sugar glue here) and a floral wire in between. I pushed that into the RKT hat after they were dried!
- The smash cakes were simple, single layer vanilla cakes, covered in vanilla buttercream then the cow print spots were done with Satin Ice black fondant and the numbers were Satin Ice red cut with the same Fox Run number cutters as above!
And that's it... I think I've covered all the details for these cakes! Do you have any questions? Leave me a comment! Also - check out my other cowboy cakes linked up below right after you PIN THIS:
Cowboy Hat Cake & Cupcakes
Cowboy & Indians Cake
Cowboy Cake with Red Hat
Cowboy Western Wedding Cake