This Cream Cheese Potato Soup is easily the most popular soup recipe for my family and always a hit with friends! Eat it as-is, or add bacon or sausage and you've got a warm, complete, delicious meal in a bowl!
Originally posted February 2012, updated January 2021.
A few days ago, I found a 20 lb. bag of red potatoes on clearance for $3.99. Since we didn't have any red potatoes, we love red potatoes and they're usually way more expensive than that, I grabbed them!
However, when I got home, I discovered that I already had quite a few Idaho potatoes, some golden potatoes, and 2 bags of sweet potatoes already here. Um...yeah. Maybe we didn't need more potatoes after all. Maybe I should be more diligent about knowing what I already have on hand. Oh well.
My next task...figuring out a way for us to eat lots of potatoes so they don't all go bad! Anyway, my hubby suggested that I make potato soup. But I didn't have all the ingredients to make my usual, so I started scouring the internet for a new recipe.
I landed here...with a knock-off recipe for Panera's Cream Cheese Potato Soup. That looks great, but we needed more (as in, enough to feed all
7 8 of us) and that recipe didn't quite suffice.
I searched a little more and I ended up fusing 2 or 3 different recipes. It's very close to the one above, except with a few tweaks...and more (not ingredients...but quantity...hehe)!
With the kids' help (Christian peeled and cubed all the potatoes for me - he's a great kid!), I made this soup by combining a few ideas, and wow!
And I have to say...it might have been the best potato soup we've ever had! It was superb!
This soup is so delicious, you can eat it as-is without any add-ins or toppings and you will not be disappointed. However, if you're a little extra (as I am), you may way to kick it up a notch. Here are things we've tried:
Add-ins and toppings for Cream Cheese Potato Soup:
- Our favorite way to serve this soup is topped with bacon pieces and shredded cheddar cheese.
- If you want a heartier soup, crumble and fry a pound of breakfast sausage. Then drain it and stir it in while the soup is simmering. You will be blown away at how delicious it is.
- Once we added chopped ham to our soup - also amazing (although sausage is our favorite, by far!).
- Other toppings I've seen for this soup are green onions and sour cream.
January 2021 update: since writing this post almost 11 years ago, this continues to be our favorite (by far) potato soup recipe.
More Soup Recipes...
- Mac & Cheese Chicken Soup
- The Best Squash Soup Recipe
- Easy Taco Soup
- Kitchen Sink Minestrone Soup
- 25 Amazing Soup Recipes You'll Love!
More soup recipes to try: