My Aunt Millie’s Graham Cracker Nut Roll is a staple around the holidays. If my aunt is not making it, then my sister is, or my oldest son Joshua. We all love it and I can’t imagine not having it around this time of year.
A little background… when I was a little girl, I spent lots of time with my Aunt Millie. I was a flower girl in her wedding, then I used to babysit her daughters and go on trips with her and I even worked with her one summer.
She’s special to me… always has been and always will be. And this recipe of hers? It’s pretty special too!
Before any of my family sees this and wonders about the title… I should note that we we really call it “Aunt Millie’s Nut Roll”, but I thought adding in the “Graham Cracker” part would be a little more descriptive for the sake of all the search engines and internet bots that crawl around categorizing stuff online.
So if you’re in my family and wondering… I didn’t alter the recipe at all.. just the title a little bit!
We actually look for excuses to make the recipe any time of year, but especially for a Thanksgiving get-together or Christmas party …. or if you make candies as gifts… give this one a try!
I don’t know where Aunt Millie got this recipe… I should’ve asked her! It’s a unique recipe and I honestly can’t remember ever seeing it anything like it anywhere else – online or otherwise. (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong and it’s a famous recipe that everybody know about, right?)
You’ll only need a few things for this recipe, and most of them are staples in any baker’s house. The ingredients are graham cracker crumbs, butter, marshmallows, pecans and powdered sugar.
You just melt the butter and marshmallows in the microwave – then stir in the graham cracker crumbs and nuts and mush it all together until you get a big ball of gooey goodness…
Then you form a log (or two or three is better) and roll it in powdered sugar. Once it’s set, slice it up and serve… perfection!
Here’s the printable recipe… I hope you’ll give this a try and love it as much as we do!!Print
Aunt Millie\’s Graham Cracker Nut Roll
- 1 lb. bag of miniature marshmallows
- 2 sticks of salted butter, cubed
- 1 lb. honey graham cracker crumbs or crushed honey graham crackers
- 2 cups of chopped pecans
- 1/2 – 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Put the marshmallows and cubed butter into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until completely melted and smooth (it’ll look just like the melted mixture in my homemade fondant.
- Stir in the graham cracker crumbs and pecans and mix together with buttered hands until it’s thoroughly combined. It’s gonna be sticky, but shape it into two or three balls as best you can.
- On a smooth surface (I like to use a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan), spread out your powdered sugar.
- Dump the balls onto the coated surface and begin shaping into logs, about two inches in diameter. Keep rolling and shaping until the logs are well coated, then roll them up in wax paper.
- Allow them to sit and rest until they cool and firm up. You can also stick them in the frig to speed this up. If you’re not going to be eating them right away, tape up the loose edges of the wax paper to keep them sealed and fresh.
- If you want to eat them sooner, just go ahead and slice them up! It’ll squish down a little as you slice, but don’t let that bother you!!
- I made these a couple of days before Christmas and not a single slice lasted until Christmas day! They’re so very yummy!!