Awhile back my friend Chrissy told me she'd like to plan her husband a surprise birthday party and she asked if I might be able to do a cake for him.
I love a good surprise so I was immediately in on it! Besides, Chrissy and Jon live in Thailand and do amazing work running SWAT Ministries. I admire them so much and would do anything I could to help them or bless them and their ministry. I knew having a party like this while they're home on furlough was sure to be a really special event for them!
Anywho, I had only seen her once during their visit (so far) and we hadn't talked about the cake again, so just a few days before the party, I contacted her again and asked what "theme" she wanted the cake...
She said she didn't know... but Jon loved Snickers. It took me about 2 seconds to decide... I knew I had to make him this cake!
Because she needed around 40-50 servings, I actually tripled the following recipe to make the two-tiered cake (size 6" and 9" tiers with a little batter leftover for cupcakes) , but the recipe & instructions below will be for a single, 8" round cake (with 2 layers).
I wish I had pictures of the inside of the cake to share with you, but obviously, I couldn't cut it before the party and we were having way too much fun at the party for me to think about a staged picture. Oh well... just imagine rich dark chocolate cake with Snickers & chocolate buttercream inside... yeah, that's it! 😉
Are you ready? Please remember, the recipe & instructions below will be for a single tier, 8" round cake (with 2 layers)! Here we go...Print
For the cake
- 1 (15.25 oz) Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines)
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box instant chocolate pudding (add the dry pudding mix into the recipe)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Buttercream:
- ½ cup shortening (ie., Crisco)
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, (softened)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup ganache, for the ganache, use this recipe
- ½ cup Caramel Sauce, (or use melted caramel squares)
- 3-4 regular Snickers bars, chopped into small pieces/squares
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare two 8" pans (I use homemade Baker's Joy). **This recipe is only for a single tier cake with (2) 8" layers - NOT the 2 tiered cake pictured!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and sour cream and mix until well combined (do not over-mix!). Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into 2 pans and bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then flip out onto a cooling rack and completely cool.
- While they're cooling - make the ganache and chocolate buttercream.
- When ready to assemble, lay down the first layer of cake, then spread a thick layer of buttercream over it. Lay some Snickers pieces over the buttercream, then put the second layer of cake on top.
- Frost the entire cake with chocolate buttercream. Pour the ganache over the top and let it drip down the edges. Then top with more chopped Snickers and drizzle with ganache and caramel. I also piped a border and garnished it with some more chopped Snickers.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: cake, triple chocolate, snickers, bar, cake, recipe, candy bar