Easy Taco Pockets are one of those super simple kid-friendly meals that can be thrown together in minute for a summertime 0r weekend lunch! They’re easy, delicious and filling!
This recipe was originally published in June 2011 – a whopping 7 years ago! My son Joshua was only 13 at the time and he cooked the whole meal. He’s 20 now and while he doesn’t cook much these days, now he cleans up my crazy-messy (post-cake) kitchen like a boss. #parentingwin
A couple of weeks ago Joshua (my 13 year old son) found a recipe on a free calendar we’d gotten from Pillsbury and decided he wanted to make it for supper.
I don’t know about you, but I’m all too happy to have him make a meal for us! So I got the ingredients the next time I went to the store!
Within a day or two…he made us this scrumptious meal! What’s great is that it’s a fun recipe that kids can help with (or make all on their own if you have kids that are good in the kitchen!).
Easy Taco Pockets
Because we have such a large family (with FIVE boys), we had to double the recipe below so that we’d have enough for one meal. We ended up with a few leftovers too that we had for lunch the next day.
Using a few shortcuts (or doing things ahead of time) makes them especially fast to put together.
For instance, I often keep pre-cooked browned ground beef in our freezer. It’s just as easy to brown 1 pound as it is 5 pounds (if you have a big enough skillet). So I’ll do a big batch, divide it up and freeze it. Or I’ll cook several pounds in my Instant Pot at one time, then break it up and freeze.
And I do something similiar with beans. Cooking and dividing dry beans (pinto beans, black beans, read beans, white beans, etc.) is super easy and saves a few bucks versus buying canned beans. So I’ll cook 3 pounds of beens and divide them up into freezer bags to use for tacos, chili or this recipe!
And last… we make our own salsa too! That means it’s crazy-delicious and also frugal!
I highly recommend these Easy Taco Pockets!
The printable recipe:Print
Easy Taco Pockets (Fun to Make With Kids!)
These Easy Taco Pockets are kid-friendly and perfect for a weekend lunch or busy weeknight supper!
- 1 (1 oz) package taco seasoning mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef, cooked, drained
- 1 cup cooked, partially mashed pinto beans*
- 1 can Pillsbury® Grands!® biscuits
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Lettuce & Tomato (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a skillet, mix together the ground beef, taco seasoning mix, 1/2 cup salsa, and water. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Next you’ll pop open your can of Grands biscuits, and on a flat surface, press each biscuit into a 6″ round (kids love doing this part!!). Spoon the meat mixture (probably about 1/3 cup per biscuit) onto the center of each biscuit, then top with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Fold the dough over the filling (in half) and press the edges together to seal.
- Then place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown (the original recipe said 9-14, but ours were done in about 10 minutes). Serve with salsa, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and/or tomato!
Check out these recipes too:
I just shared this time-tested Easy Salsa Recipe last week and it would work perfectly in the Easy Taco Pockets Recipe!
Love tacos? Check out my Easy Fish Tacos! They’re also a family favorite!!
This is another recipe that I’ve made hundreds of times and my family absolutely loves!! Click here to see the Easy Taco Soup recipe.