I open the pantry doors and just stare wishing something in there would fulfill my sweet tooth. A serious craving for chocolate has struck and Homemade Double Chocolate Brownies sound pretty good right about now.
Fast forward an hour. I’ve experimented with what I had on hand and the house smells of heavenly chocolate. I can’t wait, so I dig in. The piece I cut isn’t staying together all that great. They taste good, but could be better. I head to bed with my sweet tooth sated, but not overly impressed with my kitchen escapades.
The next morning I decide to have one for breakfast. (Chocolate is good any time of day!) The square I cut this time stays together perfectly. I take a bite and can’t believe they’re they same exact brownies I tried straight out of the oven the night before. They are SO GOOD! So good in fact, I had a second.
So believe me when I say, these brownies are even better once they’ve had a chance to completely cool, set, and develop their flavor...
I took them as dessert for lunch at my brother’s house. My sister-in-law warmed hers up in the microwave for about 10 seconds and she says that was the way to go! I love a warm brownie with a scoop of ice cream.
She had hers with a cup of hot coffee. A glass of cold milk is also another favorite. What is your favorite way to enjoy a brownie?
These brownies are a perfect combination of fudgy and cakey textures with a fabulous chocolate flavor. Below is a printable recipe for you!
This recipe is brought to you by Susan!Print
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 pan with pan release or butter and flour.
- In a bowl over simmering water, melt the butter, shortening, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. Stir occasionally. Once mixture is melted and combined, cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, and sugar together. Add the chocolate mixture and combine.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to the chocolate mixture.
- At this point, you can add in nuts (1 cup) if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the pan and bake an additional 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to not over bake.
- Cool completely. Makes 15 large brownies.