This Hot Black Eyed Pea Dip is a perfect appetizer for your party or New Year’s Celebration! Loaded with bacon, cheese, lots of texture and flavor – it’s delicious hot out of the oven!
So, this is my first (new) recipe here on Rose Bakes that is savory! I made this Hot Black Eyed Pea Dip for New Years Eve at my parents and I really loved the way it turned out! Granted, I love black eyed peas in pretty much any form, but even if you don’t like black-eyed peas, you might still like this dip!
I’d love to hear… do you have any amazing black eyed pea recipes? Tell me, tell me!
Are ya ready for the recipe? Here’s a printable version:Print
This Hot Black Eyed Pea Dip is a perfect appetizer for your party or New Year’s Celebration! Loaded with bacon, cheese, lots of texture and flavor – it’s delicious hot out of the oven!30
- 1 1/2 cups dried black eyed peas, rinsed
- 6–8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (or more!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ whole Onion, Chopped Fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup salsa (hot if you want to add some zing!)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup chopped jalepeno
- Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
- Sour cream, optional
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Dump in the dried peas and boil for 30 minutes, or until tender (as tender as a canned black bean would be). Don’t let them get too mushy!!
- Drain the beans.
- While the beans are boiling, fry, drain, and chop 6-8 slices of bacon. Reserve 2 tbsp. of bacon grease.
- In the same skillet, add in the chopped onion and garlic. Saute until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, stir together the beans, chopped bacon, sauteed veggies, 1 cup of the shredded cheese and the remaining ingredients.
- Spread into a 7″x11″ prepared dish (or similar sized dish).
- Bake for 20 minutes then top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes (or until the cheese is melted).
- Serve hot with tortilla or corn chips and sour cream, if you like!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hot dip, dip, appetizer, black eyed peas, bacon, cheese, black eyed pea dip,