Today I want to share with you How to Make Easy Popcorn Cupcakes.
Last summer I made these for a snack at VBS one night. The theme was "Colossal Coasters" and everything had a little carnival twist to it! Since I was responsible for the snacks and meals each night, I really got to have fun with them.
Making meals and snacks for 30-50 people each night is a lot of work and I really wanted to find a balance between every thing being really festive but also being easy.
These popcorn cupcakes fit the bill!
First, here's what you'll need:
- Baked Cupcakes - mine were vanilla cake
- Buttercream frosting
- Miniature Marshmallows
- Yellow Gel Coloring
- Small bowl, water, and a small paintbrush
1. Start with a plain cupcake:
3. Now take some miniature marshmallows and push them into the buttercream before it crusts. I just did it randomly, piling on as many as i could to get a popcorn look!
You can also use tiny dots of water to stick them to each other if you have trouble getting them to stay put.
4. Take a small bowl and mix together a small amount of water and a couple of drops of yellow gel coloring. Stir it until it's evenly distributed, then use a small paint brush to paint the marshmallows. You don't want them completely yellow... just here and there:
5. Allow them to dry for an hour or two and they're ready to go!
When I got up to the church to set up, I found some popcorn boxes in the VBS materials, so I stuck a couple of cupcakes in the top of them to display... I thought they were super cute...
What do you think? Do you have any questions about making these popcorn cupcakes?
While you're here, check out this tutorial for How to Make Fondant Popcorn: