This is normally a dish I reserve for summertime, but given our current Mississippi weather (it's 70+ degrees in January), I figured I may as well go ahead and feed my cravings for a cold pasta salad!
If you don't know already, you will soon find out that I'm a pasta lover. I love hot dishes, cold dishes, salads, side dishes, main dishes... you get the idea.
And this recipe, it's one of my favorites ! It's creamy and delicious!
A few notes about the recipe... first, this is a huge batch. Be sure to grab a very large bowl to mix it up! It's usually enough for my family of 8 to have lunch (we usually add fruit or bread or both as side dishes).
Second, I don't eat raw onions. ever. And I mean NEVER. Green or otherwise. Therefore, I never use them in this recipe, but if you like them,
go ahead and ruin your pasta salad...I mean, add them to your pasta salad and enjoy. I was just kidding. About ruining it.
Lastly, if you don't have buttermilk on hand, use this little substitution: Take ½ cup of whole milk (or 2%, but whole works best) + ½ tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. Stir it up and let it sit for a few minutes. And Voila.. homemade buttermilk!
I'd love for you follow me on Pinterest here and see all my favorite pasta recipes!
Anywho, here's the printable recipe for ya:Print
A creamy cold pasta salad with chunks of yummy crab meat.
- 1 lb. dry pasta (I usually use bowtie)
- 12 - 16 oz. imitation crab, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (I use Lawry's)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (optional, good with or without)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 10 to 12 minutes (or according to package directions).
- Rinse with cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, combine the crab meat, mayonnaise, buttermilk, onions*, garlic, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Whisk together until well combined.
- Add the pasta and toss until well coated. It can be eaten immediately but it's really better if you cover and chill it for a few hours or overnight.